Monday, December 29, 2008

honeymoon...

I have been away from my blog for a good week or more. My focus has been the task of the honeymoon. My travel agent gave me wonderful suggestions and I am sure any of the 5 star resorts that were recommended would have made for a memorable honeymoon. After weighing what was important to me, err, us...it was narrowed down to 6 resorts.

Topping the list all resorts are adults only, all-inclusive resort, offering direct flights from St. Louis and the destination being close to the airport.

Secrets Silversands
{Secrets Silver Sands}
My travel agent recommended Silver Sands and boy am I glad that she did! I love how modern this resort is. It is so awesome and such a trendy way to spend your first few days as newlyweds! I just could not get over how hip and cool it was and not really very "Mexico". I totally want to visit this resort, but in the end, I decided it was not the best choice for us at this moment....It is definitely on the short list for our first anniversary trip! :)

Secrets Maroma Beach
{Secrets Maroma Beach}
This resort is the perfect balance of "we are honeymooning in Mexico" and "we love modern"! Why did it not get selected? Trip advisor rates this new gem at #28 out 170 Cancun hotels. Hmmm.....give it a few years. It just opened in August 2008. Check out the website. I love all the details and the decor in the bars and restaurants! Also, love the tub!
I was most interested in Maroma's swim out suite. Off of your patio there are steps right into the lazy river pool. You share this pool with the other swim out suites around you...heaven at your back door!

El Dorado Royale
El Dorado Royal would have been a fabulous choice...totally safe, and we would have totally loved it I am sure. Who would not want to dine on your "Gourmet Inclusive" options? seriously. you cannot go wrong here. Alas, not the right fit for us.

El Dorado Maroma
El Dorado Maroma is so quaint and definitely on the smaller side of all the options. This is why it got cut in the early rounds, just not enough options for dining with only 3 restaurants...a girl needs more choices than that!

Excellence Riviera Cancun: The runner up!
{Excellence Riviera Cancun}

This came so highly recommended by recent visitors...and my travel agent was just there too! We loved the variety of restaurants (8), bars (11), and activities at the resort. Close to Cancun airport is such a plus! We have heard nothing but good things from everyone who has visited this resort. I just wanted more in a room. Something with more pizazz! Trip advisor did rate this resort at #2 out of 170 hotels in Cancun. Not too shabby. Must truly be excellent!

And for our honeymoon destination...drum roll please!
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~

Excellence Playa Mujeres
{Excellence Playa Mujeres}

When I was searching for a resort, I was kinda surprised at how all the beds faced sideways? Why? Why? I always envisioned the bed facing out towards the view....whether it be ocean, spa, pool, etc...it just seems more romantic to me! No surprise that the rooms that I was most drawn to had either a window/french door facing bed or really elegant looking bed linens. 2 of every kind of pillow in this bed? Excessive? Me likey.

This room instantly calms me and seems like a relaxing place to spend some lazy mornings, afternoons, or evenings! The spacious L-shaped sofa is so cozy with all the pillows and the room even has a small table to enjoy a meal or snack from the 24 hour room service. Chris is forcing me to be budget conscious so we opted to not upgrade to the Excellence Club level which offers extra amenities. Here are a few perks of this all-inclusive resort:

~8 a la carte dining options
~11 bars
~mini bar stocked daily with water, soda, juice, beer and snacks
~activities such as bicycles, hobie cats, cooking lessons, Spanish lessons, dancing lessons, darts, billiards, board games, archery, air rifle shooting...just to name a few!

I am sure my most popular activity will be sunbathing, napping, and indulging in all that Playa Mujeres has to offer!


I instantly fell in love when I came across Playa Mujeres roof top terrace suite! to. die. for. From the website, "Each of these rooftop terraces comes outfitted with a private HydroSpa pool, and offers stunning views and comfortable lounge furniture. On the inside, our commodious rooms and suites are outfitted with the latest amenities to ensure that your stay is as relaxing and satisfying as possible."

There are even some roof top terraces that are actually not roof top and just have a bigger balcony....I would love one of these! In the end, it does not matter. I so love that hydrospa pool....I can imagine myself lounging on the terrace and taking a cool dip in our private pool. This idea of the roof top terrace and private (albeit small) pool, in so ingenious....simply bril.

As guests of the resort, we will also be partaking in honeymoon perks...
Basket of fresh fruits in room upon arrival
A bottle of sparkling wine
One special romantic dinner
Rose Petals in the room upon arrival
Special turn down service
Champagne breakfast in bed (once per stay; reservation must be made in advance with concierge)
15% discount on all Spa treatments

Cannot wait to visit Excellence Playa Mujeres roof top terrace for our 7 night honeymoon. I am already trying to see what spa treatments I can arrange while there. So fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails